Easy & Tasty Zero Waste Recipe: Brown Sugar & Pecan Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Serves: 6 people
Why is it delicious?
The best thing about sweet potatoes is their versatility. Sweet potatoes can be eaten steamed, baked, pureed, fried, or even dried. In this recipe, our potatoes are baked and caramelized in sweet brown sugar with some crunchy pecans to make a side dish everyone will be begging you to remake next year. With only 4 ingredients, this recipe is bound to become a staple in anyone’s kitchen.
Why is it Zero Food Waste?
The whole potato is been used in this recipe! Skins can be saved to fry and seasoned to make potato skin chips.
Food storage tip
To store leftover cooked sweet potatoes, cool them as quickly as possible, ideally within one or two hours, and then store in the fridge for up to two days. Use a potato peeler rather than a knife as this will cut down on waste.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4–5 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Scrub, peel, and dice your sweet potatoes into 2-inch cubes and add to a bowl.
- Mix melted butter, chopped pecans, and brown sugar in your sweet potato bowl and mix evenly.
- Place your mixture on a baking sheet. Do not overlap potatoes. This will help them crisp.
- Bake for about 40 minutes and let cool for 5 minutes.
Are you a hotel or restaurant in Canada willing to reduce food costs to improve your bottom line? Or you want more recipes?
Check out Rethink2gether’s blog!